Sunday, March 19, 2006

Ghetto Superstars...

So, I just got home from Philly...I work there on Saturdays-teaching dance classes to adults, teens and 3-5 year olds. When I think about it, it's hard to believe that I'm a ballet teacher, when it was probably my worst subject in school-but I ended up loving it. Anyhow I digress...I teach at a small dance studio in West Philadelphia and my colleagues and students are a very talented bunch. Now they don't have a great ballet background or vocabulary, nonetheless, it doesn't take their talent away as dancers-I mean they dance their heart and souls out and they are some of the most creative and innovative folks I've ever met. When I'm around them I feel so much comfort and ease it feels like I'm around family...I love that! You know it's like my home away from home. The dance school and company mainly does hip-hop choreography and if you really wanna get specific-street funk (and they're really, really good at it). Their company show was tonight and they danced with so much energy and passion til I was almost brought to tears. They remind me so much of the reason what dance was for me when I first started and they continue to remind what dance is supposed to be-they renew my love for it every week. It's so weird to be around a group of people that just dance because of the pure love for it and nothing else. I'm so used to being around people who are trying to get paid or seen on television or Broadway and these people are just happy to have their shows and recitals a few times a year where they can show off to their family and friends. And I wonder to myself constantly, thinking "wow they're okay with this, and IT IS OKAY DAMNIT... fame and recognition is relative, the popularity and love that you get locally from loved ones can be just as rewarding as fame worldwide, it could maybe be even better."

So enough with the mushy/semi-serious stuff-to add to the kids say the darndest things collection...This morning in my 3-5 year old ballet class, after telling one of my students that she did a very good job, she turned and looked at me with the cutest smile and said, "I did an excellent job!" OMG! kids are too much, right?! LOL.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

books read by getit2g...